Monday 18 November 2013

6. What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

By constructing my film opening I have been able to develop my understanding of software, hardware and online tools and how they all interact with my project.


Hardware - 


Mac 
I used a Mac to do all of my research and planning, as well as the editing of my film. I don't have a Mac computer at home so I learnt a lot of new things by doing this. Such as how you can drag and save things into your documents, then drag them onto blogger and upload them instantly. I then gained experience with the computer programmes available. Overall, I increased my confidence with Macs and I feel I can now use one sufficiently to complete a task.



Canon 600D camera
The camera that I used to film my film opening was a Canon 600D. Using this camera I was able to film in HD which maximised the quality of my camera shots. I have used my camera before but only for taking photographs, never to record video. Therefore I learnt how to use the film settings of my camera, how to focus the lense and how to pick up sound clearly using the built in microphone. I also got a better understanding of how long it takes to import HD video onto a computer whilst I was uploading my footage.


Tripod
I used a tripod when filming my film opening to help me stabilise my camera. This helped me to get the camera completely straight so none of my shots were wonky. It also helped when I came to filming the tracking and panning shots as I could achieve them without having a shaky camera. I was able to get the height that I wanted for each of my camera angles. As I filmed my film on my own, having a tripod was very handy. It allowed me to set up the camera in the position I wanted it, hit record and then begin 
acting out the scene. This meant that I didn't need anyone else to help me film.


Software - 

IMovie
This was the first time that I had used IMovie but I caught on quickly and it was quite simple to use. The editing that I included in my film opening was cut, fast motion, some blur transitions and then adding the titles and sound. I was able to do all of this easily with IMovie and so a more advanced editing software was not necessary. My skills on IMovie are still pretty basic, however I now how an understanding of how it works and was able to achieve everything I wanted to with my editing. I'm sure if I was to use this software again that I could develop my skills with this programme very quickly to achieve any other effects that I wanted to. 

Photoshop


To create my company logo I used Photoshop. I had used this software before to edit photographs but never to create my own. I found it quite challenging to get each element of my company logo the way I wanted it but I am happy with my end result. From using Photoshop I learnt how to change the colour of individual sections of an image, and import different fonts. I now feel confident that I could create another graphical image similar to my logo if I needed to. 


Online tools-

Blogger
Blogger allowed me to create my own blog which I then completed my coursework on. I had never had my own blog or seen blogger before so this was a completely new experience. I quickly learnt how to find out the tasks for each blog post, create my own posts and upload images, videos and slideshows. I found it very interesting completing my work in this way and am pleased with the skills it has given me.

Slideshare
I used Slideshare to upload any Powerpoints that I had created with relevance to my work. I created a Slideshare account and then uploaded my Powerpoints. This was new to me and I think I will be able to use this online programme again in the future. I learnt how to embed my Powerpoint on my blog posts using Slideshare and this is a very useful skill.


Mindmiester
With Mindmiester I was able to make a mindmap of different things that I wanted to include in my film opening. This was a key part of my planning as I was able to summarise everything. Such as, props, costumes, location and editing. It also adds a different way of displaying my work on my blog and in my opinion looks much more visually pleasing.


Prezi
Using Prezi allowed me to create another visually pleasing display of my work. With this online tool I was able to create an interactive slideshow and embed it into my blog post. I had never used this before and I think it is very useful and will continue to use it in the future. I think it makes the information you are illustrating much clearer and interesting to look at.

No comments:

Post a Comment