Monday 18 November 2013

7. What do you feel you have learnt in the progression from your preliminary task to your full product?

Shot reverse shot




In my preliminary task I used Shot reverse shot to film part of the conversation that was taking place. By doing this I learnt that it is a sufficient camera shot for filming conversations as it allows the audience to see who is talking and the characters point of view. Shot reverse shot is where one camera angle is shown, then another, then back to the first. I feel that it keeps the audience engaged during character dialogue and helps you to see the characters expressions as you are shown more than one angle. You can see in the top photo above that I went from a front on angle, to an over the shoulder view and then back in my preliminary task. This shows who is having the conversation, the situation from one characters point of view and the other characters facial expressions. I did not use this in my final full product as there was only one character involved, therefore no conversations took place. However, as shown in the second photo above, a similar technique was used for the part where the main character was having a flash back. It went from a shot of the main character looking in the mirror, to camera shots of her trying out different outfits, then back again. So the same sort of concept was used.

Match on action


I used Match on action in both my preliminary task and my final full product. My first attempt in my preliminary task was just of the character walking across the room. By practicing using this technique I was able to successfully use in in my film opening and I think it plays a key part. As there is only one character in my film opening and the narrative of it is based on her going to her first day at school, following her around is literally the main element of it. Without learning about Match on action I would not have been able to capture the characters full morning routine and her journey to school. This would have then meant that my Film opening would have failed completely and not fit with my genre. The photo above is an example of where Match on action was used in my film opening.

180 degree rule





I learnt about the 180 degree rule when completing my preliminary task. I found out that it keeps things clear for the audience and avoids confusion between where characters or items are situated. In my preliminary task I made sure not to cross onto the other side of the table where the characters were sitting as this would mess up the continuity of the scene. As shown in the top picture above, I kept on the same side of the table so it was clear for the audience where the characters were. In the second picture shown above, you can see an example of where the 180 degree rule was used in my film opening. This was especially important for the scenes where the main character was walking to school. If I had of crossed over the 180 degree line and filmed some parts from the other side of the character, it would have been really confusing and created the illusion that she kept changing the direction that she was walking in. I am now confident that I understand the 180 degree rule fully and I am aware of its importance when filming.

No comments:

Post a Comment