Thursday 12 September 2013

5. Certificate Ratings

Before I come to making my own opening sequence, it is important that I understand the role that classification plays in deciding the content of films. I will research different certificate ratings so I have a wide range of knowledge about them. This will allow me to assign my own film opening to the rating that I feel fits my narrative and genre the best.

Once I have chosen the certificate rating that I intend for my film opening, I will have to make sure I follow the guidelines accurately in order to achieve it.


Using the BBFC website, I researched the guidelines for each certificate rating and summarised them in a short video -

 

How each certificate rating fits with the genre of Teen Comedies -

U and PG
For a teen comedy, the main target audience for my film would be teenagers. To make my film enjoyable for teenagers, I feel I would not be able to do this whilst staying within the guidelines of a U or PG rating. For example, drug misuse is only acceptable if it carries an anti drug message and there can only be mild bad language. In a film made for teenagers to watch, I think not using strong language or showing occasional drug taking would make it boring and not relatable for them. 


12A
I think a 12A fits my genre quite well. It allows infrequent strong language and drug taking as long as it is not glamorised. I think my film opening could comply with these guidelines whilst still having good comedic value and narrative that teenagers find entertaining.

15
In a 15 certificate rating, everything that I would want to include in my film opening is acceptable. Such as strong language and drug taking. However, if it is also acceptable in a 12A (as long as it is infrequent) I feel it would be better to rate my film as 12A so more people could watch.

18
As my genre is targeted is teenagers, I think this certificate rating would take out too much of my audience. Even though everything I would want to include to make the film enjoyable to teenagers is allowed, I don't think it would be worth loosing most of the people that would watch the film.



As my chosen genre is Teen comedy, the main target audience for my film would be teenagers. Initially, I thought this would lead to the certificate rating being a 15. However after researching how each certificate rating fits with my chosen, I now think that my film would be better suited as a 12A.
This is because I think my film opening will comply with the guidelines of a 12A certificate rating without having to change the narrative or comedic value. Therefore, I feel it is better to have a lower certificate rating if possible as it increases the audience that are allowed to view the film.
The two guidelines that influence parts of the comedy in my film opening are to do with the use of strong language and drug taking (In particular, smoking). Both of these are acceptable in a 15 but in a 12A the guidelines are more specific. However, the guidelines for a 12A rated film are that the strong language and drug taking must be infrequent and the drug taking must not be glamorised. I feel that I could still follow this without having to change the comedic value and so my film opening should be classified as a 12A.

No comments:

Post a Comment